Friday, May 22, 2009

Ubuntu on my laptop

I was scpetical about using Linux on my laptop. But when I tried the Ubuntu Live CD, I literally fell in love with it.

But installing in on my HP laptop was a task! I didnt want to remove the Windows Vista it came with. Because, many of my applications are available only on windows. e.g., Canon Camera applications.

That means, I will have to create a new partition by using some tools like Partition Magic. I learnt that Windows Vista comes with an option to shrink any parittion. I tried it. My 260GB hard disk, after analysis, the tool offered me to shrink upto 512 MB. In fact I had more than 40GB free on that. 

I suspected my drive is too fragmented. I run the defrag tool many times, removed the paging, still no effect.

Then accedentally I put the live CD again and booted once more.  I saw a Partition Editor application in the Ubuntu menu (Parted).

Without any hestiation, I ran it - cool - I get new 35GB partition!

Now I have to install Ubuntu permanently.

Here is the list (incomplete) of advantages I get from Ubuntu:
1. Speed - faster boot
2. Less disk access. With Windows Vista, the disk access light is permanently ON. Could be because of the anti-virus tool and other indexing software
3. Free softwares....

Here is what I miss: (I dont miss them exactly - I have dual boot to Vista)
1. Windows is still much more compatible with hardware options. 
2. Rich set of codecs - olangal.com - the movie streaming website - most movies are not viewable from Ubuntu. I dont know how to install all codecs. I tried my level best. But in windows, I dont have to know anything about codecs.

Will update as I make further progress.

No comments: